top of page
  • Writer's pictureRebecca Somerset

St Beuno's chapels

In Letters and Notices of March 1966 the following note can be found:

A stone in the Rock Chapel at St Beuno’s records: "This stone of the chapel was laid on May 10, 1866, and the chapel was opened on September 24, 1866." It may not be generally known that it was built in honour of Our Lady of Sorrows and as a pilgrimage shrine in reparation for the 64 shrines (we have a map of them) in honour of Our Lady destroyed in North Wales during the Reformation years. It was apparently built by local labour and is of Welsh granite, like the College.

In recognition of this month marking 150 years since this anniversary, here are some old photographs of St Beuno's chapels from archives.




6 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page